Coffee inspired...
I step out on Fridays, looking for my half-smile.
It looks like I might have lost it,
When I bumped into you last weekend.
It wasn’t much to begin with,
So you might miss it quite easily.
Maybe it rolled under the table
And silently curled itself into a half-frown?
If it were still with me,
I would have watered it everyday
With half-truths and false hopes
To keep it from wilting.
And surely I would keep them tears away.
I’d have pretended they were raindrops instead
Coming a tad early, this dry summer.
And yes, I would proudly show it off,
Everybody likes a bit of attention.
Who knows, it might grow up to be
Almost as popular, as a fake one?
I was sitting in Starbucks last evening, typing this, when Andreas walked in. I think he saw a hint of a tear on my face, so I quickly veered the conversation to more pleasant stories like bungi jumping at Vic Falls. I love the Starbucks in City Hall… I can spend hours there in the company of my laptop and my books. I don’t mind being alone and occupying an entire table. Why do people feel almost guilty to sit alone? This girl was on the sofa next to mine, and smiled nervously when I looked at her. Then I gave her a broad smile, and settled down comfortably with my laptop. Yes dearie, I am alone here (for now) and I wont judge you. She very sweetly started talking to me and says “I thought I was the only one who comes to Starbucks alone”. Nope you are not. I had a lovely dinner of crepes and conversations with Andreas, at Out of the Pan. They seem to have a new menu every month, which is awesome. After dinner was the usual – coffee at Starbucks, and stories from university. Stories of friendships, regrets, immaturity and excitement. Stories, stories, stories.
I woke up this morning with a strange dream in my head. I was with my parents, at home in India, and the town was caught in a struggle between militants and the police. And we sat over lunch, praying that the firing does not reach our street. I know I know. Something very weird about all this. I woke up a bit disturbed and a bit amused. I am still wondering where this came from. Any psycho-analysis is most welcome.


6 Comments:
maybe its all the news you have been watching and the world clearly doesn't help.
i love being alone with the laptop and music on doing nothing but reading, random surfing and arbitrary writing. i send my housemates out of the house to do just that:).
I say, you should have coffee more often.Lovely thought out there.
Don't know much about dreams. I hope you are still amused and have stopped feeling disturbed about it.
i can so relate to you in terms of the dreams you are getting. I am passing through the same situation these days. I am getting those weird bitter-sweet dreams and I cant seem to figure out where they are coming from.
I guess we need to just relax and stop thinking too much :)
Oh I've been to such places alone a lot of times but I feel quite weird generally. I realize a great bunch of friends who will always stick by you is something like having a billion dollars - you'd be blessed to have that but very unlikely you will.
-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs
Was that girl pretty? hmm?
and single? hmm?
Utopia,
Somehow it isnt as much fun at home as it is in a cafe though.
EU,
Thank you... you seem to be the only one you read the verse :D
Raaji,
"stop thinking too much" - Now if only that was possible.
Guns,
Yes friends are lovely, but there's no guilt in taking some alone time, is there.
Zii,
I wasnt interested in her, so I didnt ask :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home