Day 2 - Friday in the city
It is going to be a friday to remember. Well well well.
First, the milder stuff. The day started with a visit to the Apartheid Museum. The exhibits and videos move you like very few things do. You can watch movies and you can read books, but you go to the museum and your eyes actually well up. I was very touched - by how people actually manage to forgive for being wronged and go on with their lives. As cliched as it sounds, the human spirit is capable of much more than we can imagine. Although photography was not permitted, I still managed a few shots. Towards the end of the tour, I was just waiting to get out. Not because I didnt want to see anymore, but because every moment spent inside upsets you. Humans to humans. And just colours can make a difference? Easier written than experienced, I know.
The Apartheid Museum is part of the Gold Reef City Casino and theme park development. Apparently, the casino was given permission to operate only if they also developed something of social significance. A bit ironic, I think. Anyway, we roamed around the casino, had lunch, and were out on the road again, towards the Rosebank Mall. There was a lot of time spent on bargaining and shopping for curios and jewellery. I bought a big black south african necklace, another big masai necklace and earrings, and south african keychains. I almost bought a tribal drum, first for myself, and then for Buzz, but it was a bit heavy and a bit pricey. Finally, the guilt caught up with me. The guilt of making two guys walk around with me while I was buying chunky jewellery. We finally stepped into the actual mall, and shopped some more. Wait, I forced Buzz to shop some more. Stitch, who was with us in spirit and text messages, says I am their weapon of choice on the SA economy. Oh come on... a good wardrobe is priceless and I need to do my bit to let everyone know that :p
After the shopping spree, there was a bit of a scare. We were on our way to the travel agent to pick up my passport, and a traffic jam got the better of us. Thankfully, a few shortcuts later, we finally managed to pick up my passport, and pick up quite a bit of food for our 3 day trip to Zimbabwe. Of course its a different story that we forgot most of the food in the fridge. We went home and I cooked dinner. Lots of it! Garlic bread with beans. Potatoes. Spicy mushrooms. Frozen rotis. Burp! After dinner, Buzz and I drove to his office for a bit, while Dopey watched Pirates at home. On our way back, we stopped by News Cafe to say ‘hello’ to his friend, and that is where the madness started. 2 tequila shots within five minutes. Ummm... yes, its a friday. We finally got home, dressed up for partying, and 3 of us were at Su-da-da soon.
Right, that was the milder stuff. Yes, it was a friday to remember. I got stoned. For the first time ever. The rest, will be left, to your imagination. Tee hee.


2 Comments:
aaaaaaaaaa.. stoned, eh? :)
i bet dat 'teehee' is JUST de tip of the iceberg here! :)
Yes it is ;)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home