The big apple
I suppose every 20-something who visits New York is supposed to be totally wow-ed by it.
Here's the deal. NY failed to impress me.
:O
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, now if you could just pick up your jaws from the floor, I'd tell you why...
I wasnt impressed because they really have no idea what public transport in the 21st century means! The subway hasnt been renovated or upgraded for centuries, and my american friend says it is because 'the subway is used by so many people, you cant stop it to repair it'. Yes, this time I dropped my jaw on the floor.
I wasnt impressed because people will push you, shove you and step on you, and yet pretend that they have never ever heard of phrases like 'sorry' and 'excuse me'. The average asian (and yes, I am generalising for a third of the human population!) is waaaaay more polite thankyouverymuch.
I wasnt impressed because most people in US believe that all of Asia is a village, and frankly, Europe doesnt count. Their geography tells them that Asia has 'Asians' (read chinese and japanese). Sorry, where is Singapore? Isnt it part of China? As are Malaysia and Korea?
I wasnt impressed because you queue up for an hour to visit any tourist attraction, and then go through a tedious security check which involves removing your coat, your shoes, your belt, your watch, your dignity. AND after that when you do get to the top of Empire State or Liberty, you then catch yourself saying... WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?
I wasnt impressed because most of Manhattan is dirty and dingy. And I dont like the idea of being picked up on the streets by big, big, big, black men (yes, I'll be racist. If you were there, you would be too!) who could probably lift you with 2 fingers and nobody would notice you are gone.
I wasnt impressed because I value my safety. Random people on the street try to talk to you. Black men on subway stations scare you. Guys stop their cars and roll down their windows when you are trying to flag a taxi. Get lost, idiots!
I wasnt impressed because I value my money. And tipping the waiter for bringing you the wrong dish, tipping the barman for every diluted drink, tipping the doorman for not opening the door for you and tipping the cabbie for shouting at you aint my idea of spending money!
I wont complain about the winter - it was something I had asked for. But still, could there be a worse topping?
The only thing that slightly redeemed New York was outlet shopping in New Jersey.
Ladies and Gentlemen, Asia kicks ass anytime.
The apple might be big, but I wasnt tempted to bite.


50 Comments:
Well Well Well!
I wouldnt be so quick to judge. Maybe you need to stay there a while as a New Yorker to actually taste the spirit of the city. I have heard a lot about the apple from many people but have never let my mind relent to their descriptions.
It's probably like what most people would say about Mumbai. It's dirty, filthy, crowded, expensive and with horrible weather too. Local public transport is not the best by any standards and there is so much to crib about. But live here and you'll begin to fall in love with this city. Everything just grows on you and you begin to love it for what it is. A 'tourist' will always leave the city with a sour taste but take the battle to a bombayite and you will have a handful.
Dont think New York is promoted as a tourist destination. Is it?
Well ..my friend had similar thoughts about the city ..And I am going to be there for new year :|
Strange - I hated New Jersey. Stupefyingly dull.
And I loved NYC. People were nice. Helpful, even.
Maybe it's because I'm not a PYT? Or because it wasn't winter?
J.A.P.
I call this hitting the nail on the head!Felt the same way when in New york last year.I was of course comparing it to London and rest of UK where Ive been for some time now.
I agree with Saurabh, if you live in a place it grows on you.
Even if its not promoted as a tourist destination, some thing about it should appeal to you when you visit it the first time, or even thereafter.And like Mumbai( and I am a hardcore Mumbaikar) New York doesn't always have that effect on you.
Visit any European destination, touristy or not..and you can feel the difference
Welcome Back Casa!
I came to ur blog just now after ur hols...hope u had lots of fun :)
On this post...
I have to agree with Saurabh - cos u cant really judge a city by touring it for few days...of course u have ur first impressions and they count too...but u got to live there to really form an informed and justifiable opinion abt it :)
Most cities anywhere in the world are crowded, with unrepaired subways, polluted places, different and few rude ppl, different problems and wutnots. Long queues r everywhere Casa lol! Here in Sydney there are places where u can get into a club/theme park easily and there r other places where u might have to queue up a bit and it suxx..hehe...but it doesnt make the city bad altogether. We cant have perfect cities only because we humans live in them :)
And what abt the good things Casa - perhaps uncrowded trains/buses (unlike the kind we get in India and Sri Lanka or even Singapore, HK)...I dunno abt NY but ppl in Sydney r very polite compared to few Asian countries I have been to...and what abt entertainment and lesuire activites? Wasnt it good? And ppl being different (color or creed) is one of the main reasons for visiting a new place...cos it's that experience that we seek...dun be scared of black Americans lol!
**AND after that when you do get to the top of Empire State or Liberty, you then catch yourself saying... WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL
well then u shouldnt have gone up there in the first place Cacs :) lol! cos these r places for ppl who have a genuine interest in scenery and views from the top. Maybe u did it just cos it was a famous landmark..I know it happens to me too when I go to see places just cos it's a famous place :) but there r heaps of ppl who really see the beauty and value of such places too.
But then again these r ur views abt NY...I would have to go there myself to see how I'd feel abt it, but I'd also have to live a bit longer in NY to judge it completely :)
Merry Christmas and so good to have u back!
Keshi.
I agree with Saurabh. One can't judge that quickly. I haven't been to NY but London was similar in the sense, the tube was supposed to be bad and from what I know its worse than the NY subway. I found it convenient, since it took me where I wanted to go albeit with some unnecessary delays.
Also, people are friendlier in london and i am sure in NY as well. I would have to say there are a lot of unfriendly people in Asia especially the big cities like singapore. Try making conversation with a stranger. They give you the weird looks.
I also think the best part of these two cities is the melting pot of various races n cultures.
Well, I am not surprised. But NY is a big city, emphasis on big. It does impress if it's the first big city you have been to. But not if it's your second, or third or... :)
You have seen Singapore, HK, so well. Besides, yes, even the West Coast is infinitely more warm peoplewise than the East.
My biggest complaint was it is impossible to find anything green. It is just concrete. But then NY has amazing museums and broadway. Food too :)
Ok. Quite a post with quite some serious comments. My turn to say something now. ;)
Ok firstly, can we quit calling the African americans 'Blacks' or 'black people'.Please. Well, yes i know thats how they are referred as, but still...i think that sounds extremely rude!
Secondly, I think Casa is right in her own way of stating her views about the city. Maybe she did jump to conclusions on some things, but hey, if u dint like the place, then u dint like it! Full stop. For instance, i hated Phuket! Now a lot of people began bawling when i told them that Phuket sucked big time! But thats how i felt. Not asking anyone to agree with me!
And Casa dear, you hated the fact that big big African American men were picking u up. Well then how about ALL the indian married men/unmarried men/college boys/school boys walking on the streets of delhi/mumbai/calcutta, whistling at you, making those kissing sounds and trying to attract your attention?? :)
Saurabh, theres a difference between NYC and Bombay. Before a tourist comes to bombay, he does not paint a picture of clean streets,no dogs, cats, cows etc on the roads,smooth flowing traffic, air conditioned public transport, smooth and easy-going life. And if someone does so, then hes utterly dumb! So a tourist coming to bombay, or any part of india for that matter already has a different mindset, cos he has most prolly heard of the place's hardships. But for someone visiting NYC, its the complete opposite. Its the BIG APPLE!! Its the most talked about city IN THE WORLD!!
So if whatever Casa was expecting from the trip to NYC din go upto her expectations, then it dint. Sometimes first impressions of the place matters the most! :)
Saurabh,
First impressions do matter at times, and there's no denying that maybe some day I might be living in NY and enjoying it, but right now it failed to impress me.
And I am quite certain it is promoted as a tourist destination as well. But that doesnt matter really, because I was there to get a feel of the place, and I came away with the impression that there's too much hype about the place.
Well, to each his own :)
Jagan,
Let me warn you, Times Square is not even half as exotic as people make it sound.
JAP,
And a PYT is? And I do think the weather has very little influence on the way people behave.
Educatedunemployed,
As I responded to Saurabh, I am sure if I stayed there I might begin to like the place. But as of now, touristy or whatever, my impression is that NY aint that great.
Keshi,
With all due respect to the west, I think the infrastructure, especially in South East Asia, is waaaaaay better. Crowded trains maybe, but efficient trains. And that is not just in Singapore or HK, but even in KL and Bangkok.
Yes, the best thing is the cultural mix of people, but again, that is more pronounced on the West Coast. The East Coast does have a majority of whites.
As for being at the top of Empire State Building, I can assure you that there is no 'scenery' worth looking at. Brown, old concrete. I got a much better view from Petronas Tower in KL. Yes sure its worth a visit, but the hype around it doesnt do justice, that's all.
And once again, no I am not judging NY. I am letting people know why I wasnt impressed by it :)
Exhaustpipe,
I used to think people in Singapore are rude. Then I came to HK, and my perception changed. And then I went to NY, and... my, my... Sg is far friendlier I'd say. And no, I dont think the 'Hey, how you doin' makes it friendly. Once again I'd say, with my limited exposure, Asia is far more friendly.
Sanity Starved,
Yes the West Coast has warmer people, and a better mix of races and cultures. Museums are good in NY no doubt. I dont say I didnt like NY, but it didnt match up to the hype it generates.
Medha,
THANKS!
You got me right! Which is why I was quite certain this post would generate quite a stir, coz there are places which people are supposed to be wow-ed by. Like NY, or Phuket, or Sydney. And if you say you didnt like them, then be ready to be lynched.
People call it the Big Apple. People say it is the Capital of the World.
People say it doesnt get bigger than this.
So obviously, your expectations are sky high. And it failed to match those. I'm sure New Yorkers love their city, like Mumbaiyyas do... but that doesnt change the fact that I am entitled to my own opinions.
As for calling them blacks, trust me, I did it just to prove a point. I used to find it very racist, but you have to be there and see the way they behave to know what I mean. And if guys in India do that too, well, I'd be disgusted with them too. There's no excuse for such behaviour.
Hell Yeah! Tell it like it is!
*applause*
My feeling is that the rest of America is far prettier/civilised, but we are too myopic just yet.
And the incessant tipping is pissing off. :p
Excuse me, but with no due respect,
Even the New Yorkers admit their transport system sucks and it sucks big time, so can the people on this space stop being prudes and stop defending something which isn't theirs to defend!
Geez.
(I have it on good word that NY-ers do indeed stand too close to each other on their dingy dirty trains and noone bothers with the niceties.)
I think sometimes people get defensive just to prove that they are immune to culture shock. This has nothing to do with culture shock. Someone with ample global exposure has the right to form an opinion.
Its me again. London is way better.
Plus I don't see why people can't take your opinion at face value.
Is it so hard to believe that Americans can be mean? Errr...excuse me...reality check people?
To each his own is infact right. Then why compare your opinions to the general perceptions?
Anyhow, I do beleive that downtown NY is highly dangerous even in broad daylight. I had a friend who was petrified to travel in the subs because of how unsafe it sometimes gets.
Dropz does look like she's on a roll today!
The spirit really getting to you ?
Yes indeed americans are downright rude as people most of the times but that doesent discount Europeans. English are known to be racists too and the French have earned themselves something of a repoitre. German hostility I have experienced first hand and Australians are known to be very temperamental too.
I just think that maybe not now but on a generic scale the Americans are more accomodating, being a country of immigrants.
Jupiter,
Thanks dear. I myself am a little surprised to see people defending NY and US with such gusto. I mean seriously, what's wrong with someone praising Asia??
WHY is it soooooo difficult to digest?
Saurabh,
Once again, I must repeat myself. Its not about whether NY is a good place or not. Its about whether I liked it or not. And yes, those are my parameters for judging a city - public transport, public behaviour, blah blah blah.
And this post is to do my part in dispeling this whole hype about NY. Its overrated, me thinks.
As for your second comment.... we'll I'd rather not depend on hearsay. So I'll wait till I've experienced all of those cultures, and get back to you. Anyways, I didnt say Americans were racist. Culturally accommodating and polite are 2 different things, wouldnt you agree?
hahaha!
Casa, the topic on your comment section is really going out of point, compared to your post. =)
Saurabh- How does that answer anything I said?
Your point is that the whole world can be racist? Well nothing new there! As a friend of mine says, we can all be racists, as long as we aren't bigots.
Bottomline
A- person who's never been to NY
B- person who's been to NY for a week, albeit as a tourist.
Question- Who has a more informed opinion? A or B?
*bang bang*
B!!! B!!! B!!!
=D
B aka CASABLANCA! hehe =)
PS- I had unknowingly typed 'A' and was all ready to post the comment, when i realised what mishtake i was gonna commit. Lol. Jups and casa would have REALLY started shooting me!!! haha!
*thank god!! I saved my own life*
=)
//Ladies and Gentlemen, Asia kicks ass anytime
yiippee!!I agree!!
Ive been wanting to go to New York for the longest time! Now im wondering.
Naaah... im still gonna go before i write my exams. Hopefully my financiers will make sure i do. :D
I liked this post. It was funny and you made sure to make it clear that this is your perspective and your perspective alone that your not tryin to shove down other people. :)
girl/woman..woman...!!
nag nag... nag... nag... bout everything.
city, country, boyfriend, husbands, politics, sports, shoes, clothes, life, weather, woman's rights, animal rights,lesbian rights,death row inmates' rights, equal pay, maternity leave.... .. .
Well I agree with Medha. It is rather going out of focus.
Then again I wasnt pot-shotting here. I was merely presenting something that occurred to me. Didnt think we were playing 'Just shoot me!' here.
Good to hear your opinions Casa!
Too bad NY didnt live up to your expectations!
Medha,
Really? I thought it was pretty much in focus with my post.
Jupiter,
B!! :D
I'm just wondering why everyone is so quick to point out to me that my opinions arent in the 'right' spirit. Heck, that is why they are 'opinions'.
Medha,
I always like a debate, so out with your guns. Lets play this game :)
Angelsera,
Glad you do.
Archster,
No, by all means go to NY. Once again, dont depend on others for your perceptions. But yes, dont expect too much ;)
Jack,
Yes, and that's what my blog is for.
Saurabh,
What is the right focus then? I'm curious...
And seriously, there's nothing more interesting than disagreements and debates. Nobody is shooting... not yet :)
first i thought that u prefer to be upper-lip :p
but yea, everyone likes clean air
btw, isnt everyone [nearly] is a racist and sexist [:D:D] at heart?
:)
ur right asians are way more polite.
i loved ur candid take on NY...its so overrated!
Aaahhhaaaaaaaaaa!!!
Great work Cap Jack!!! Yours is worth reading.. rest is common topic
=)))))))))))))))))))))
hmmm...But i still want to visit the Big Apple once. I love the way you write! :)
Bang bang, you shot me down
Bang bang, you hit the ground,
Bang bang, my baby shot me down...
(ok, now Im just spamming this space)
@drops - b'ful
Burf,
You kind of lost in that comment of yours. Kindly explain...
Khizzy,
And the funny thing is we are so polite, than we keep insisting westerners are polite too!
Btw, your graduation pic looks superb!
Nayan,
I'll let Jack reply to your comment.
Wishfulthinker,
Yes you MUST visit New York. If for nothing else, then atleast to see for yourself how overrated it is!
The admiration is mutual ;)
Jupiter,
Glad that you informed... I was starting to take your comments seriously :D
hehehe.. aa, u poor thing. all those monkeys at de big apple dont know what they're missing in ya!
;-)
Why did you go to that place anyway???? And please sympathise with me....My boards are coming up....ICSE {translates as "I Can't Stand Education"}
U probably were roaming arnd in a different NY....
Upper Manhattan (Central Park) and up r shady...but lower Manhattan is cool. NY is probably a very bad place to live....but it is a great place for a tourist. There is so much life in the city...next time u r in NY, let me know, I shall tell u cool places to visit.....
Right on! But I think it was more cuz it was built up than anything else, it is quite an interesting city, just not all its made out to be. Oh well atleast i cna claim to have been atop the wtc.
Most brilliantly written, a pleasure ot read :)
Livinghigh,
A bigger monkey? Oops :p
Kazarelth,
ICSE is in March. Why are you studying now???
Pointy,
Hmmm... maybe I'm a different kind of tourist. As for life, I agree. But then so do a lot of other cities, and that is my point. I didnt dislike NY, but it didnt impress me.
Karuna,
Yes, it was the hype surrounding NY. I am sure atop the WTC was a better place to be than atop the ESB.
you landed up in NY during the wrong time. i have many reasons to counter all your arguments..but..:)
NYC rocks - it's the best city in the world! drop by sometime suring early fall and you'll realize.
Sorry you had a bad exp in such a great city, but the things u mentioned is what NYC is all about. I personally love it, hope the city is more welcoming to you the next time around :)
and ofc ..u were "double checked/screened " for security reasons ..I can relate to that ...
DD,
They are not arguments, they are my opinions. I am certain yours will be different :)
Also, I am sure fall will be a better time... but I dont think the weather has much to do with the things I didnt like in NYC.
Aditi,
It wasnt a bad experience. I had a great time in NY. But I wasnt impressed with the city.!
Jagan,
Ah, but for ferry to Liberty Island, EVERYONE was screened!
Vikram,
Those are my opinions, my impressions. Never said I wanted to change NY. Never said I even wanted to change others' opinion of NY. And trust me, Asia has fast cities as well... as I always say, people in US are like frogs in a well.
I agree...so much hype abt the BIG APPLE...but in certainly doesn't live upto ur expectations...
but thr are a few things which i do like abt it like
1. walk in central park
2. the atmosphere in Times square
seriously ne asian city is as much vibrant as nyc if not more!!
Wow.We havent figured out how US is in couple of years and you did it in a weeks stay. You disliked Empire state and all you could think of is shopping?
Well NYC cannot impress YOU. Coz you lack the spirit to appreciate beauty in things. Pity you!
don't know what to say... may be you should stay there longer, only then you can love that place... just try knowing the people more... :-)
there might be billions of good things you have missed...
V...
Vikram,
Gifted, I am :D
C'mon, its an expression for god's sake!
Packan,
Yes there are good things in NY. I'm sure its a very likeable city. Just that I (and I cant repeat it enough!), I personally, didnt find it as impressive as I had expected.
Anonymous,
Nope, I wasnt trying to figure out US. It was a list of why I didnt like the place. You can have your reasons to like it, I can have mine to dislike. Is it so difficult to digest that?
Virdi,
Aah well... I cant say it enough. I am SURE its a nice place. However, I didnt find it as impressive as expected. I had fun there. But no, its not up to the hype.
i said that not because of the weather. you got me wrong. in early fall there are less people in the city..:) and you have more of peace.
DD,
Really? I thought there would be fewer people in winter!
On another note, its strange that you are IN New York, and yet you dont sound offended by my take on the city (which, as I keep repeating, is just a personal opinion), but more than half the world who have never even seen NY, are ready to lynch me for it. I mean, what is with this obsession to defend New York??
**Brown, old concrete
lol aww...ok then u mist have a point in saying that :) Petronas are the highest in the world na?
Keshi.
Casa.... next time... lemme be the tour guide. I'll bring out the right emotions in you... to enjoy the city! And make sure u hit the right spots.... dont be a tourist... be a traveller.
I am a Bombayite.. and for me.. NYC rocks. I love crowds... people... brashness... and find a calm amongst the chaos!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home