Thursday, December 22, 2005

Mummy bhookh lagi

The bluegreenfly...SPLAT has tagged me, and being the sport that I am (ahem!), here's the list of 10 of my favourite food dishes, and my recommendations on where to find them.

10. Macadamia Dulce - I am not a big fan of ice cream anymore (whatever!) but this is one flavour from Movenpick which still gets me drooling.

9. Satay - A malay specialty, its basically barbecued chicken which tastes simply great. Have it at any restaurant in Malaysia, and you wont be disappointed.

8. Roast Chicken Sandwich - Yes I know it sounds nothing exotic, but you have to try the one at Food Barn, Singapore. The chicken, the mustard, the cheese, the panini... mmmmmmmm.

7. Omlette Curry - Most people havent even heard of it, but its immensely popular in Eastern India. The flavours are great, and have it hot with rotis, and you'll fall for it too. My preference? Either my mom's or my creation.

6. Brownies - I prefer them to chocolate cakes any day! Current favourites are the ones baked by yours truly. Hagen Daaz comes a close second ;)

5. Gulab Jamun - The only mithai that I like. That too only the one's prepared at home by mom dear. Yes, I'm fussy with food :p

4. Bhelpuri - Yes, for people like me living outside India, it really is a big deal to have decent chaat or bhel. Whenever I go to India, I make it a point to have some at Haldiram's in Calcutta.

3. Aloo ke parathe - Need I say more? The unwritten rule is that Mom will make them for dinner the day I land up at home. And nothing goes better with it than homemade chutney.

2. INDIAN chinese food - Yes I dont like the genuine thing. Give me the fake, Indianised, spiced-up version, and I'll lap it all up. Meow!

1. Chicken Tikka - There is nothing more satisfying than well done kebabs and tikkas. Although you can get them anywhere, the best tikkas I've ever tasted have to be from Bukharas in Singapore, and Nirula's in Delhi. I still remember the taste distinctly... that's how good they were!


So folks, its time you all took up the tag. Its christmas season, so what better to talk about than food :D

11 Comments:

Blogger Anshul said...

Sorry. Its bad enough to read about good food without getting it... if I start writing about it, my stomach will end up eating through my skin!

Will remember when I'm in India!

1:27 AM  
Blogger Canary said...

hmm.. ur posts are nice and entertaining as usual.. i changed my pic after u told me dat the prev one ws scary! :p
waise evn i looooov aaloo parantha.. mom ka banaya hua.. :)

2:16 AM  
Blogger Archster said...

How True :D

i think i would pretty much have the same list.

for the most part.

4:31 AM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

Blame you for the drivel!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Anshul,
I wrote this post after a good dinner of daal-roti :D
Oops, did I make it worse?

Canary,
Hehe... oopsie! But I do think this one's cuter ;)
Aloo parantha has to be one of mankind's best inventions!

Archster,
Really? Then we are indentical food list twins!
Sorry, just watched 'Friends' and Joey's "identical hand twin". Hahahaha!

Educatedunemployed,
Muahahahahaha!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bukhara's closed down for good man! What the hell!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Yes I know :(
Sucks!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Virdi said...

kha kha ke moti ho jayegi... :-)

you know in India the Chicken Tikka is not a dish... :-) seriously... if you go to Punjab and ask for Chicken Tikka they will look at your face... simple reason is that the Spicy Chiken in UK is not that spicy but they say the Chiken is Teeekha...hence Tikka Chicken or Chicken Tikka...

:-)

V..

2:26 PM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

i think chicken tikka is the commonest favourite ever. it's loveliest.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Susubala,
Sneak out and treat yourself :)

Virdi,
But I thought it was a variety of kebab, aint it? Even pakistanis call it 'chicken tikka'...

Bgfs,
Yumm yumm!

2:49 PM  
Blogger burf said...

5 - my favorite

3 - home-made are the best, otherwise delhi has the best places for them but i still find shimla [near new year] to be the most amazing place to have them as breakfast

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home