Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Yesterday

To those of you who celebrate holi, and to those of you who dont - wishing you a Holi which is happy in its own way!

For me it was after a long time that I celebrated holi sans colours, this year. Yes, even in Singapore we used to spread some joy (and irritation) by knocking on hostel doors with colours in our hands. But it was a good celebration nonetheless. Met up with friends last night for a good indian dinner, all thanks to the Moviestar. He has a knack for co-ordinating and getting plans rolling. He also has a knack for ordering the weirdest sabzis from the menu, but we'll let that pass for now.

I feel all grown up. And yet, I feel like a kid.

Last weekend saw me doing a lot of things after a long time.

Sitting down in a park and chatting with friends. However shady or corny it might seem, it was rather refreshing. Sometimes it is good to get out into the open and stop breathing recycled air which you breathed out. And it was balmy saturday afternoon... a welcome change from the grey and gloom of late.

Saturday also saw me tucking into a huge sundae. Cant remember the last time I was in Haagen Daz. The fact that it was a treat, is well, the icing on the cake.

And, do you remember the last time you danced to 80s music? Shimmied to 'Uptown Girl'? How quaint, and how nice it was to do that. Bar George has suddenly become a unanimous favourite! Of course, Dollarman regaling us with stories from his workplace added to the fun. We laughed away like silly kids.

I leave in less than 3 weeks, and I need to start packing. But where do I find bags big enough to fit these memories?

29 Comments:

Blogger A and A said...

Happy Happy Holi to you tooooooooooooo!!!! *dabbing some colour on casa's face* And don't worry about dem memories, they'll fit in finally. However small you think your bags might be, dem bleady memories always manage to squeeze in! Just take it from me I say! And damn, fusssst prise to meeeee again! :D

2:35 PM  
Blogger littlecow said...

I loved every bit of Indian festivals! But have you had this thought that holy is different compared to other festivals? It does not take a gallon of bravery to squat on a carpet and consume dubbas of murukku, rava laddoo and halwas on deepavali, but it does take guts to walk up to a guy (girl, preferably) and shower him/her with colors that you so painstakingly made...

Its also the day when, a loathed enemy becomes one of the gang and now... rivalry apart, revelry sets in rapidly and plans are hatched to 'attack' that evil wing that destroyed us in the hostel scrabble tournament. After 'march'ing through the area, smearing everything in sight and ourselves with colors, looking funnier than the funniest racoons (a la madagascar), a whole day of cricket is played, much to the amusement of passersby. Contrast that with deepavali: what happens if you have a rival and its deepavali eve? Rocket fights and only one survives to smell the scent of sulphurous air the next day, non-recycled I might add! But its quite fitting in a way: afterall, it was the day the asura was destroyed!

Anyways, I miss the Indian festivals very much. As I do everything else from home! A very Happy Holi to you too!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

Happy Holi to u too!!!
Its not fair!!!...I'm trying my best not to drown in all those memories...even wrote abt it all hoping to get it out of my system...and here u go agen!!!...I miss it all sooooo much!!!...oh btw,last nite we had an apartment picnic for Holi and tho there were new songs too and danced to those bt I actually danced to 80s music and some even older than that;-)

3:04 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Wishfulthinker,
*throws a coloured water balloon your way*
Hope you have a swell time this holi... I'm sure 'swell time' will involve countless beers though ;)
And yes, I'm sure the memories will fit. The brain shall expand. It has no choice :)

Littlecow,
I love your comparison... and yes it is quite a wicked but fun festival. I remember last year I was in India for holi, and was tricked by friends to come out after I had a shower, and was painted all over again. And for good measure, was poured with a whole bottle of refrigerated water after that. Damn them :p

DEG,
Oh c'mon... you still have a good 1 year to go in college. So dont drown in the memories, make them :)

3:13 PM  
Blogger aknowkneemoose said...

Holi reminds me of an ad Nokia (at least I think it was Nokia) made in India.

I haven't played holi for ages now. The colours are not the same anymore! (I'm pink enough as it is, without all the gulal :p)

All these festivals we folks have... what would our country and people be, I wonder, without out festivals?

3:29 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

Hey thanks Casa,getting sms's and calls from 3 in the morning.Just when I think I should celebrate the begining of spring by sleeping human hours my family happily ruins my resolve.Wish you a very happy Holi too.
Memories will come with you,all of them and you wont even have to pay excess baggage.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Dipanjan Das said...

happy holi!

am spending a holi without colors for the first time in my life.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Moose,
Havent seen the Nokia ad you talk about. And why arent the colours the same?
what would our country and people be, I wonder, without out festivals?
I've had too many 'what-ifs' these last few days... dont throw another one at me :p

EU,
No excess baggage, but I hope they dont become emotional baggage, if you know what I mean ;)

DD,
Oh. I feel your pain. Dont worry, a good indian dinner makes up for a lot of things. Take care :)

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Holi to u tooo .. What a Holi this year.... working like hell whole day and now gonna go hm n hit bed.. isnt it great!!! i jus love Japan!!!
yeah yeah i know .. too much !!!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

cute post :)

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Cas,
thanx a ton!
and sure you shall see a blog behind my name too some day,.. soon

btw, happy holi!
whether you play or not it, it definitely has a charm which cannot be escaped...

and as for your memories, trust me you will not have a problem..aapka dil bahut badaa hai :)
all those sweet and not-so-sweet memories shall stay in your heart forever...and i can betcha your heart will still have place for more to be stuffed,, oops , kept!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Your mind should be big enough for those memories.
You may have to worry as how to carry your shoe collection, though!
:-)

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This part of Holi without colors quite sucks!

8:30 PM  
Blogger alice said...

happy holi to u hon...
and i love sitting in aprk and chatting or reading a book...or a picnic...its awesome...

and coming back?????to india?? where do u stay...???

8:40 PM  
Blogger totti said...

Sounds nice.You should add cricket into the mix to make it most ideal outing though :). The memories already arrive inn transparent package.Why pack them? :p

10:44 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

I leave in less than 3 weeks, and I need to start packing.
True....

Memories....memories...memories....
good ones ..bad ones....
I dont need bag to pack them....but I surely need something to erase few of em....they just come back and haunt me all the time :(

Anyway....HAPPY HOLI to you Casa!!!

How you doing?

11:15 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Apy,
Holi in Japan? Now that sounds interesting :)

RBT,
Thanks :)

Nikita,
Charming it is... just thinking about it makes me tingle, if you know what I mean :)
Yup, there's a lot of space in the heart. And thank god for it :D

Jingu,
You wont believe it, but I was just complaining to a friend some minutes back about the size of my shoe collection and how to pack it :(

SS,
Sometimes, we cant have everything :)

Alice,
No going back to Singapore. That's where I've been for a few years now...

Totti,
Transparent packing. True. And easy archiving. We can bring them back whenever we want, isnt it? :)

Arz000n,
Somehow I never want to erase any of the memories. Strange, eh?
Been doing well... and you? Long time no see :)

12:02 AM  
Blogger once again said...

aapy oli !!!

1:36 AM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

There is a lot you will leave behind, there so much more to look forward to.So many feelings not sorted, so many emotions yet to unfold.Try not to look at this as an end, but a new begining...Good luck..

1:38 AM  
Blogger burf said...

alice - not to delhi, oops india, she will come back to singapore... and where in india does she stay... hmmm applause waiting for u if u can guess :p

:D

1:46 AM  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

That was a nice gurgling cheerful post :-) Happy Holi (albeit belated)

10:19 AM  
Blogger ligne said...

happy holi.. its been years since i celeberated holi or sat on a katta and chatted with friends.but its all good :)

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was interesting indeed... but missed home :-(

10:53 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jingu,
Its NOT a laughing matter :p

Once Again,
To you too!

EU,
Thanks for that. Very encouraging :)

Burf,
Applause? That's all you offer for such a difficult guess? ;)

Gee,
To you too. Hope you had a cheerful holi :)

Ligne,
I'm very curious... what's a katta?

Apy,
Its okay... look at it this way - there will be holi next year too :)

12:00 PM  
Blogger ~RAUL~ said...

happy holi girl...
and where are u going...bck to s'pore ?

btw, HAIL KIMI !!! awesome...but did you see Alonso coming out from the pits and Schumi just pinned behind him...what a moment...

i just hope the rest of the season is as interesting at this race.....

NST: I hate SRK :(. Btw u've heard "tinka tinka" from karam. Awesome....pls pls put it...

12:15 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Its such a beautiful coincidence that u n i both wrote abt Memories at the same time - check my my 2nd latest post :)

Keshi.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Raul,
Yup, back to Spore.
And this is spooky... I was thinking of playing 'Tinka tinka' last week on the blog, but couldnt remember which movie. So there you go :)

Keshi,
Really? Will go over and read it pronto :)

Vikram,
I got to know it from phone calls from Mom :)

2:44 PM  
Blogger ligne said...

@cas: a katta is a bench on the road..usual a concrete one..:) I think its possibly marathi..but know in bombay one uses such words..
now do you know what khopcha is? where r u frm?

8:32 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Ligne,
Thanks for that info...
I'm not from Bombay. I'm not from any of the metros. I dont speak marathi. But thanks to bollywood, I'm sure everyone knows what kopcha means :)
Still remember Javed Jaffery singing kopche mein do kya kharcha paani :D

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home