Friday, March 10, 2006

Another day in paradise

I get highly (and quite unnecessarily, actually) irritated with apologies when they arent required. And it results in an endless cycle, where the person has to then apologise, for apologising in the first place. I feel horribly complicated at times.
-----------------

To tell someone that you like the person he or she has now become, without being awkward or patronising about your admission, is respectable and likable. Its nice to know people who can do that.
-----------------

I always imagined that this particular friend of mine would be highly embarassed if I were to so much as mention him on my blog. To say that I was highly surprised to see a full post on his blog to thank me, would be an understatement.
-----------------

Comfortable silences, when meeting in person, is something I can tolerate. But silences over a phone conversation can be nothing but awkward. Makes me wish I hadnt called in the first place. And I dont want to wish so.
-----------------

To be told that I will be missed when I leave this place, actually makes me feel good, in a weird sort of way. This weird sad-happy sentiment reminded me of this line from Before Sunrise... "Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more?"
-----------------

When a friend told me today "I have no life. So I'll have shoes", I responded with "I have no life. I have a blog". And we both laughed. Truth is, as I sit at home and write this here, on a friday night, I feel no shame about not being out, partying and painting the town red. Not only am I okay with not doing anything much on a friday, I'm okay with someone thinking I am uncool or that I belong to the doesnt-have-a-life category. Because somehow, trying too hard to be 'cool' isnt so cool anymore.

39 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Hm. Interesting!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Prerona said...

is it?

11:22 PM  
Blogger Anshul said...

I have no life. I have the Force :)

11:32 PM  
Blogger Zii said...

i have to say...a few lines and comebacks you mention on some of your posts are effortlessly cool.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Archster said...

I think Casa is cool :)

12:27 AM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

I apologize Casa!
:-) just feeling like I should apologize. :-))
So you are at home? Blog girl, Blog! Blog all through the weekend so that lazy bloggers like me can spend time reading your blog!
:-)

1:19 AM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

Because somehow,trying to hard to be 'cool' isn't so cool anymore
I totally second that.

2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally for being ourselves. We are all special, unique people with different circumstances and outlooks and likes and dislikes. Why should we feel the need to follow others, unless the thing is truly what we want to do (even if no one else on the planet did it).
We earn it becoz there is no one exactly like us.

2:35 AM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

sigh. so true. and so much more comfortable in your own skin to be that way.

whatcha up Cas? My cousin was down to Singapore, and while i got a shiny piggie pocketwatch, he can't stop bitching about how expensive s'pore airport is... but then, he's a bit of a crybaby...

6:00 AM  
Blogger totti said...

Was this the anon guy who had a highly arbit theory who apologised? That "so-cool" thing may be true. It vaguely amuses me to look at people who do that.i am not judging :p

6:29 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jay,
Hmmm.

Prerona,
Atleast in my opinion, it is.

Anshul,
Are you sure you have The Force?? :D

Zii,
Merci beaucoup monsieur :)

Archster,
Merci madamoiselle :)

Aristera,
Oh, we are in the same boat then. Growing up aint all bad in that case I think ;)

Vikram,
Why do what the world does? Because sometimes that is fun. I wouldnt want to NOT go out on friday either, just because its cliched.

Jingu,
Ummm... apologies from people I dont really know well dont quite matter ;)
And you have a car and a weekend and your birthday coming up... SHOP DURING THE WEEKEND :D :D

EU,
:)

Harshi,
True. No one is exactly like us. I like that statement... makes me feel very unique =)

Lazy Leo,
Hmmm... everyone seems to be talking about the last line. Wonder if nobody read the entire post ;)

Bgfs,
Oh oh... look who is back!! Where have you been?! Get back to blogging will ya!
As for Singapore and it being bitched about... I cant help but point you to this post on Jupiter's blog. She does have a point there.

Totti,
Firstly, where's the 'thanks' for linking you up on my previous post?? :p
And no it wasnt Anon guy I was talking about... was someone else.

9:45 AM  
Blogger A and A said...

LOL! You ar a funny woman man!!! :D But as a counterpoint, even more irritating than people who try to be cool are those ones who try really hard to be uncool-on-purpose. That type really gets under my skin. "I have no life. I have a blog"...I know what you're sayin' man, I just so know what you're sayin'! :D

2:23 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

You know that I have a car. You know that my B'day's coming up (your gift's in the mail, right?) And you don't know me really well? Even I didn't know that I have a weekend to shop!! lol.
Just felt like pulling your leg.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a series of unconnected-with-each-other-but-otherwise-connected-with-the-theme paragraphs? If not then, I am confused.

- RMOPLF

xxwpfqb

6:16 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Wishfulthinker,
Yes I dont like the deliberate uncool ones either, and hope I never become one ;)

Jingu,
Yup, gift will be yours on monday! And since I know you now, the apology has been accepted ;)

RMOPLF,
They are totally unconnected with each other observations/thoughts which all relate to different people I know. Hope that makes sense :)

7:34 PM  
Blogger totti said...

Hee hee..i thought the thanks was implied? i didnt want to say thanks because then you would say thanks..and i would say thanks for thanking me..and you would go...:p you get the picture ?..err..thanks :)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Himavan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Himavan said...

Hey! Nice post...

** I'm okay with someone thinking I am uncool or that I belong to the "doesnt-have-a-life" category.

Damn true!! why would one think abt what others think of him/her. Good to know you have your own unique life style...which in a way inspiring to blog readers like me...=)keep it up...=)

1:57 AM  
Blogger Big Man said...

To be told that I will be missed when I leave this place, actually makes me feel good...

ditto... we all want to be remembered :)

2:15 PM  
Blogger Shashi Iyer said...

:)... nice post. quite sappy ;), in fact

2:54 PM  
Blogger karuna said...

Yes the silences over the phone end up with my foot in my mouth!
Why oh why do they expect me carry out a conversation by meself to fill them?!?!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Totti,
Oh no, why would I say thanks to you? Its not a Japanese you-bow-then-bow-then-you-bow kinda thing ;)

Contented,
Inspiring? I have a very simple life actually :)

Big Man,
True that :)

RBT,
Haha.. by now you should know a lot of my posts are very sappy ;)

Karuna,
Exactly! Its very weird to be quiet for a minute over the phone... VERY weird!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Anjali said...

Oh I'm totally with you on the last one. Not only have I never had a 'life' in the sense of painting the town red, I think these days I'm accused of loving my computer more than my friends.

9:50 PM  
Blogger alice said...

we all want people to love us...miss us...

and regarding uncomfortable silences..i prefer those over the phone 'coz atleast u can hang up ...

12:01 AM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

Interesting...all the segments make a valid point and must say,I agree with u...and yes, making an effort to b cool is not actually cool;-)

2:54 AM  
Blogger aknowkneemoose said...

Sorry, Casablanca, for not having stalked the blog more often ;)

I was wondering... if I stopped 'stalking' the blog, would I too be missed? ;)

Nice post :)

3:03 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Anjali,
loving my computer more than my friends.
Haha... havent faced that one yet, but I can surely see that coming :)

Alice,
But you cant really hang up without wrapping up the conversation, can you?

DEG,
:)

Moose,
Of course you'd be missed... but how much and how often, I dont really know ;)

9:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, as usual I am late.

I maaro-ed MC today...

Speaking of partying, these kids these days are so skimpily dressed that I was feeling modest in the clubs this weekend. Tsk tsk...we are getting old.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Ekta said...

Hey casa,
Thx for stopping by at my blog...!
I soooo agree with you on the second pt!
I ALWAYS end up screwing this one--making it sound more bad than something positive!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter,
MC on a monday? Too much of partying during the weekend eh? ;)

Ekta,
Hehe... I guess people arent very trusting of compliments these days :)

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

god, cas!! i'v been readin ur posts 4 quite a while now n wow i lov all ur posts! kudos 2 u cas!
but the sad part is that they inspire me 2 write! big time! :((
n i find it however strange that i manage 2 relate ur thoughts a lot 2 mine (rather, a li'l more than lot i'd say), i do find it a lot weird.
n yeah, apologies at times when they aren't required do seem irritating! i agree !

p.s. i failed to figure out what the title has to do with the post,..paradise??
*rather curious* (or stupid curiosity if u may call it)

2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, yeah, they seem to call it "being wiser!"

2:44 AM  
Blogger ligne said...

do you mean Ethan Hawke and Julie delph movie Before Sunrise?
I am a huge fan of that movie :)

i like that bit about i have a blog :)

2:50 AM  
Blogger ~RAUL~ said...

Vola!!!

good to know that someone else is also not partying these days :) :)
am on a strict no-party, no booze period....
Silences over the phone....ask my gf !!! sometimes she wishes that the operator should talk in between :) :)

And ur page seems so so quiet today...where is the song NST ?

12:11 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Heyy Casa I truly agree with u...trying to be cool is not cool at all :)


**"I have no life. I have a blog".

lol guess I can high-five with ya on that :):)

when ppl say they dun have a life, it means different things to different ppl...going out partying/clubbing on a Fri night is certainlly NOT me and I honestly dun think that's 'cool'...what's cool to me is a person who has the right attitude towards life n ppl...not a party-animal :) I think ur really 'cool' Casa...I can see that very well from ur posts!


Keshi.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Nikita,
I am honoured that I have inspired you to write as well... wondering why are you sad about it? Take up blogging, its therapeutic :)
And I dont think its weird... we all have similar emotions and thoughts very often. Its just that sometimes we cant say it aloud :)
As for the title, it was a good week, and friday was another good day. It was another day in paradise :)

SS,
I agree :)

Ligne,
Bingo, that's the movie!

Raul,
Not that I'm not partying at all... kinda made up for friday by going out on saturday ;)
The song was 'Another day in paradise' but seems it had a problem loading sometimes. Have changed it...

Keshi,
*virtual high-five*
Oh well, I do party on fridays sometimes, and I think its not cool or uncool. I think cool is being comfortable doing whatever you do. Isnt it? :)

1:45 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

...a friend told me today "I have no life. So I'll have shoes"
was that friend jupiter? I can't imagine anyone else - other than you two - this obsessed about shoes.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Hahahaha... you do know us well, dont you ;)
Yup it was Jupiter!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Exactly :)

Keshi.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home