Monday, February 27, 2006

It doesnt rain, it pours

There are times in your life, when you wish you not only had a magic lamp with a genie, but had also saved one of those 3 wishes for a rainy day.

Picture this... you are sitting in the train on the way to the Oasis concert, blabbering away with 2 other loud friends, who have nothing better to do than joke about your job. And you, trying to be a sport, joke along with them.

Till some guy who boarded the same car of the same train you are on, walked by and decided to sit right behind you, turns to you and says with a big smile, "now that sounds like a good job, doesnt it".

Within 2 nanoseconds, you realise its your boss, you pray for a genie, you realise there isnt a genie, you mentally playback the last 5 minutes of your conversation, you mentally curse, and then regain your composure just in time to say "Hi M---. Nice to see you. Going for the Oasis concert?"

And then the awkward introductions are done, the jokes are explained and the friends have winked and told me "teri to nikal padi". I sit through the entire 30 minutes with a plastered smile, red ears and nothing much to say. At this opportune moment, The Shooter decides to bring up my bonus and The Joker starts questioning me on my working hours. If looks could kill, mine would have atleast bore two holes through their heads! Morons! A promise to treat them to dinner after the show finally shuts them up.

And so it happened, that the Cas paid good money to take a silent train ride to the concert. Then she paid good money to attend a concert which was a little too short and a little too crowded to enjoy. And then she paid good money to cover dinner for 2 people, whose combined appetite could feed half of Bangladesh. Such sadness!

But still, it all evens out. Life makes it up to you.
Most times... atleast.

So there was dinner at I-Caramba, and 'delicious' doesnt even begin to express my sentiments about it! The nachos, the quesadillas, the chimichangas... all washed down with some of the best mango margaritas I've ever tasted. Bless the souls in Mexico, who came up with these lovely recipes!
Gran alimento!

23 Comments:

Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

With the Bird Flu in full force here we are all forced vegetarians for now... the best bakeries and eateries look like a hurricane hit them and they have started afresh. You can get your order on your table within 5 mins .. and thats a bloody record from the 30 before.So no food please :(

Well if I was you I would still joke on about the job and continue making those jabs at the company and stuff. I'm sure the boss would join in. Here the culture is that we bitch about our jobs after work, even if its a Senior Manager or a Partner. After work all are equal.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oasis! Wow!
They didn't get stamped upon till death at the concert?! Wow!

Oh yes! Bless those souls in Mexico!

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaawwwwww
So how do you feel after writing that all down.?

3:52 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Saurabh,
Oops. But then, vegetarian food is also food you know ;) I mean the nachos and salsa were sure without meat.
Oops, did you say, no food at all?
Okay, I'll shut up now ;)
As for joking with the boss... no I refuse to take that risk, given what a small fry I am in the organisation!

SS,
They sang for only 1 hour 20 minutes! Too short, I say. Too. Short! :(

Paheli,
No I am of the thick-skinned variety... got over the embarrassment that night itself. Thankfully, wasnt saying anything ridiculously crazy at the time he came into the train :)

4:18 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

LOL!!! LOL!!! ROTFL!!!! I thought I had mastered the art of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time but you have beaten me hollow!!! Hope your boss has a sense of humour! :D

4:33 PM  
Blogger greensatya said...

Haha, sorry for having black humour. But this post gave me something to smile on this bloody morning.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Jewel Rays said...

Oasis! they were here in singapore last week. The tickets weren;t that expensive surprisingly. i think the highest was like $60 ++ .

And gosh ya boss running into you. That sure is something. and yeah i would definitely wish for a genie to make me vanish *POOF* in a finger click. Dang! i wonder what would i do...Hate running into bosses. did once. An ex boss. thank God there was a distance to seperate us. MEt in a train too. Just said hi and smile. He whisperes how are ya. And i was like fine. And than thank God the train moved and more people came in. There was a distance to part us. haha! talk abt lucky strike. if that made sense. :)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Wishfulthinker,
Hehe... wasnt too bad. My boss does have a good sense of humour, and well, I could have been saying worse things. Thankfully was only joking about my job, and not cursing my company or my boss ;)

Green,
Feel free to laugh. I laughed about it too :D

Jewel,
I think tix were for 90+ in Singapore as well.
Thankfully my boss was real nice... he spoke to my friends and then later we all ignored each other ;)

5:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And speaking of coincidences, I also made a faux pas in front of my boss.. he read my sms!

5:21 PM  
Blogger the cowlick said...

My boss met me at the train station once. Although he too knows I live just one station before him, I took another train - the first that came onto the platform - and fled :D
I reckon after work bosses should go back to where they came from - the bottom of the earth.

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1 hour 20 minutes only... but didn't they have any guest bands? Out here, the general trend is one hour of first guest band, another hour of another guest band (which are normally good but not as good as the main, of course), and then the main performance for an hour/hour and a half... rounds off to 4...
but, yes, one hour twenty sounds too less...

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oasis was a bit short here as well. It wasn't too crowded though.

You have taken to liquor in a big way. Time to introduce loverboy to it as well.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter,
Hehehe... and that, makes me feel better. And dont sue me. Misery needs company ;)

Cowlick,
You took the wrong train to avoid your boss??? Okay, that I wouldnt ever do. Atleast not with the bosses I've had... they are usually nice to talk to, even outside office :)

SS,
Yes that's what most concerts do! They play other bands till the crowd begs for the real deal. But none of that here. Sigh :(

Exhaustpipe,
Dahling, mango margarita = taking to liquor in a big way?? Since when?

6:39 PM  
Blogger Eleventy Seven said...

Its funny ... the bosses I have had till date are the ones I usually end up drinking with at the end of the day. They are much older to me and have kids and stuff but still very chilled out. We speak about anything under the sun from women to liquor to career to raunchy joints in Amsterdam (when he was visitng there)...

Wonder what these strict bosses are like?

8:36 PM  
Blogger Zii said...

red ears indeed!

9:51 PM  
Blogger XVSA013 said...

haha ... seems you had good time.

once, i managed to evade my boss at office for 4 days, but i ran into him at Brigade road ... that didnt stop him from asking me the status !!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Saurabh,
I wouldnt call them "strict" bosses, really. But yes, I like to maintain a bit of distance in professional relationships with seniors. They are cool people, but then there is a time and place for every conversation, me thinks.

Zii,
:)

Mowgli,
Haha... thankfully my boss was very cheerful and there was no mention of work :)

11:07 PM  
Blogger Archster said...

quesadillas really are the best. and i certainly hope the Boss is a light hearted fella.

12:37 AM  
Blogger totti said...

Hee hee hee.That can be quite a fix..if someone gets you in front of your boss. My boss's name starts with most wanted man in the world. :)...so there have been endless jokes and plenty of "escapes".. yeah..God Bless Mexicans (GBM) :p

7:23 AM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

lol. ROFL. OMG! What an embarassment! I pity you. truly.
Will haunt for quite some time to come.

8:15 AM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

ROTFL:You survived to come back and write this post na.I think you will be ok.:D
Atleast the food made up for it.Damn I think I am hungry now.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember seeing 3 wine bottles in your fridge the last time we were around. That is around the number we have normally in our fridge.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Archster,
Thankfully, he is :)

Totti,
Yup, friends always have to crack the right jokes at the wrong times :(

Jingu,
No it didnt. Yesterday spoke to him about the Oasis concert... and all's well :)

EU,
Yes I did. Wasnt too bad. He's a nice fella :)

Exhaustpipe,
Yup, and now it has been reduced to 1 bottle. Hehe :D

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home