Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Thought Safari

Too many blogs recently, have pushed me on that walk down memory lane. Posts recalling old jingles. TV shows. Growing up. Book fairs. School quizzes. First crushes. Good movies. And suddenly, huge quantities of memories have been taken out from the brain's cold storage, and been placed on the counter to thaw. Random memories. From random years. I picked up whatever came into my hands. Without looking. Without thinking. For I know not, what my appetite right now demands...

Prize distributions. Trophies. And the Dad invariably late.

Chitrahaar. 8pm. Wednesdays. And fridays.

Durga Puja. 4 sets of new clothes. And having to study during the holidays.

Mid-term exams starting on my birthday.

Dekh Bhai Dekh. Philips Top Ten. Banegi Apni Baat.

S, my once-upon-a-time-best-friend. Yes, it was the time of "best" friends. And friendship bands.

Saying "my sister's birthday" on hearing "Do you know what is 14th Feb?"

School fairs. Request corners. And "Nothing's gonna change my love for you"...

Top Gun. And Tom Cruise's poster on my door. Granddad insisting that it be replaced with a religious calendar.

The Book Fair in winter. Enid Blytons to Nancy Drews to Sidney Sheldons. And Tintins.

New years eve. Watching TV at home. Cutting the chocolate cake. Waking up Dad at 12.

Interschool fests. Dumb Charades. Quiz. JAM.

Train journeys with my teammate C and my school Principal. Cute co-passenger whose name we still remember. Oh, what fun!

Class 9. Co-ed tuitions. Girl talk. Jokes. And friends. Lots of friends.

"Purani jeans, aur guitar, muhalle ki woh chhat, aur mere yaar"...

School socials. And deciding what to wear. First salwaar kameez.

The farewell. The tears. The goodbyes.


Years from the past. Fried and served. Crisp. Garma garam.
But not fresh. Layers of time and distance, never leave them fresh, do they?
But it will have to do... I feel satiated. And still hungry. For more.

"Bas yaadein
Yaadein
Yaadein reh jaati hain
Kuchh chhoti
Chhoti
Baatein reh jaati hain
Bas yaadein.."



(Thought Safari - the blog for beautiful poetry and photographs, from Brood Mode)

23 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Aww-inspiring... =)

At the risk of sounding super cheesy,

As we go on, we remember,
all the times we had together,
And as our lives change
Come whatever,
We will still be
Friends forever.

(Graduation day-Vitamin C)

(Its an almost accurate English equivalent of Purani Jeans...you've heard it?)

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am listening to Purani Jeans now !

5:15 PM  
Blogger Archster said...

aaaw. Memory Lane (depending on which one), is a wonderful place to take a stroll. nice read.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Jupiter,
Not cheesy at all. And now you shall email me the song pronto :)

Green,
I wish I could too! Its just so generation-defining, isnt it?

Archster,
Yes, thank god we dont forget their addresses easily :)

5:23 PM  
Blogger ~RAUL~ said...

hmmmm :(
its just so so many memories down behind !!!

some good, some bad, some full of joy and some sad.
And I cried in IIT after graduation.
Oh those were the good old days N. And like me and you, everyone misses them.

I feel satiated. And still hungry. For more.
very well written
*clap clap clap*

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

made me quite nostalgic..
I remember boarding school, the first smoke, the first drink, peeping(lol), first crush, awww sweet pain....

6:07 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

PURANI JEANS was my 12th standard favourite song.Bahut gaya hai Canteen main..Man that was such a beautiful ride down the memory lane.Thanks.

6:25 PM  
Blogger KM said...

ufff...purani jeans was the perfect round up of school and college life.word for word!

its nice going down memory lane!
:)

6:46 PM  
Blogger A and A said...

dekh bhai dekh, is rang birangi duniya mein, kya tera hai, kya mera hai, dekh bhai dekh! Bleady now for the rest of the day this tune is going to keep running through my head and will drive my nuts. I ofcourse, will drive everyone around me nuts. LOL! Nice this post is being. And how could you forget mickey mouse and donald duck on sunday mornings and spiderman, spiderman, friendly neighbourhood spiderman on sunday evenings???!!! :D

7:41 PM  
Blogger Brown Magic said...

fantastic - now I shall sit and think of all those too. the Dekh Bhai Dekh and the tom Cruise poster. My soundtrack is differne thouhh - tanha dil, tanha safar by Shaan

11:21 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

Oh My! Very senti yaar. Stirred up some emotions in me.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Big Man said...

took me back a couple of years - philips top ten and 'best' friends and posters (aaah cindy crawford)

great trip down memory lane, after all they are all that remain with you...

12:03 AM  
Blogger Zii said...

there used to be oh he raps so cool baba sehgal with his ticky ticky taiki taiki tum tum superhit muqabla.

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. thats a helluva memory trip to be going down. your sister's bday is on the 14th feb? awww. happy budday if it is!

Phal.

3:34 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

Excellent post. Everybody loves nostalgia. And we grow up with beautiful ones and the not so nice ones. And I can identify with almost everything you said here. Guess it's the generation thing. And yes Purani jeans was one of my favorite songs too. Thanks for sharing and making me misty-eyed.

4:47 AM  
Blogger totti said...

i remember one day, in my undergrad days. i was walking from someplace and out of nowhere, nostalgia struck! it was pretty amazing. nice post :)

which movie is the song from?

6:31 AM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

How could you forget Superhit Muqabla on that list ? :)
Those friendship bands were kinda cheesy now that I think about them.
Also how do you put songs off the artistserver.com website?

6:45 AM  
Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said...

casablanca :

[loking at you kid, again :)) ]


Down the memory lane, seems to be theem of the bloggers this month.
Nice memories, must of them , very familiar.

-ATG

7:06 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Raul,
Not too sad I hope. Change the ':(' to ':)'. Its not that good times came to an end, its about having a good time atleast, and sweet memories of them that last a lifetime.

Anthony,
Ah, childhood, teenage... those were the times :)

EU, Khizzy,
Yup, that song sums up our generation so well, doesnt it!

Wishfulthinker,
Now now, will you stop driving others nuts and blaming it on me :p
As for animation, I was too young to remember those when I watched them as a kid.

Brown Magic,
Oh, do we have another Tom Cruise fan here? :D

Jinguchakka,
Its okay to be emotional once in a while :)

Big Man,
Only a couple of years?? I thought you were much older than that ;)

Zii,
I, for some reason, have no memories of Superhit Muqabla.

Phal,
Yup, her birthday is on V-day. Now is that funny or what :D

M,
Yup, most of us seem to have similar memories... as you said, we are all from the same generation. A year or two here and there doesnt matter.

Totti,
Which song? 'Purani Jeans' was sung by Ali Haider.
The song on my blog is 'Punjab' from an album 'Nirvana Lounge'.

Rohan,
For some reason, I have no memories of Superhit Muqabla. But you sure seem to be the kind of person who would wear those cheesy friendship bands ;)
As for hosting songs there, you just sign up for an account and upload music.

Anil,
Yes, too many bloggers took that road. I was tempted to follow :)

9:55 AM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

'But you sure seem to be the kind of person who would wear those cheesy friendship bands' Kindly plzzzz bother to elaborate
How do I get to the upload music page, send me the link or something coz I cant seem to locate it on the site.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Big Man said...

thought the 'aah cindy crawford' was a dead giveaway to how many years are in a couple of years ;)

12:44 PM  
Blogger babelfish said...

and I think to myself, what a wonderful world...
Listening to louis armstrong, reading your post made me re-realize why you're one of the lovelier bloggers I've come across. It made me, *the most ultimately lazy person on this side of the blogsphere* drag myself to my template section and revise my link list.
*happy sigh*

3:16 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Rohan,
Remember to choose your account when you sign-in into artistserver, and then Files->New.

Big Man,
True that, Old Man. Er, I mean Big Man :D

Vikram,
Merci :)

Babelfish,
Merci madamoiselle. The fish has been very kind, and not just for reciprocation's sake, but out of genuine honesty, I must say I *lurv* reading your blog. It is so so so entertaining! Hope your tummy is in better conditions now.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home