Thursday, December 29, 2005

Mix'n'Match

I dont always learn from my mistakes. I have often 'mixed' two seperate groups of my friends at dinners or parties, and almost always, regreted it later. But I still do it. Because for me, its always a little difficult to understand, why someone gets so uncomfortable around new people? Why does one set always get uneasy and question my friendship with the other set? Why is it so difficult to hang out with people who arent like you?

Ask me why I dislike someone, and I'll give you the most precise answer ever. Ask me why I like someone, and I'll be speechless. Do we really have a hard and fast selection criteria for our friends? Do all are friends have to be alike? I can never pinpoint why exactly I'm friends with someone, why I'm fond of someone, or why I love someone. Yes, I can give a few pointers, but its all very hazy.

Now I was talking to S about this yesterday. S is an old friend who has known me from school, and he says my "friendship style" is rather unique. He says that since school days, I've always had multiple friend 'circles', and these different 'circles' couldnt be more unlike each other. He called it my way of not putting all my eggs in one basket. I protested. I didnt like the planned and business-like feel it gave to the concept of friendship. But in a way, I think S was right. Maybe it is something I do unknowingly, but I have had for some time now, different groups of friends simultaneously. And I think a lot of us should start using that approach.

As much as we like to believe that we choose our friends, its not really true. Circumstances, education paths selections and career choices often dictate the kind of people we interact with, and then select friends from this specific subset. And before you shout out and say I am wrong, and in school you were able to make good friends, but were unfortunate to have the wrong set in university, let me tell you, age plays a big part in friendship. Doesnt it? Wasnt it so much easier to make friends when we were younger?

So if you ever wonder why the friends that you have right now arent 'perfect', stop trying to change them and stop wallowing in self-pity either. Make new friends who complement them. Accept these for who they are. And more importantly, treasure them for still being your friend... because nobody is perfect. Neither you, nor me.

31 Comments:

Blogger burf said...

"Circumstances, education paths selections and career choices often dictate the kind of people we interact with, and then select friends from this specific subset"

right
thats what i said in my last post

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Said Casa.....I used to have different groups of friends as well...cos it was difficult to be impolite and say no...now....I like being on my own though....and it def has its perks!!

8:14 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

I have always had different groups.In school, college and now in UK..Good old school friends, college mates,work mates, travel buddies, theatre lovers circle..the list can go on.
Some times it would make me think that I didn't belong any where and now I have come to like that feeling.
I have usually had a great experience in mixing company except this one time which was an absolute disaster.It only teaches you more about people and your self.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Brown Magic said...

like everyone else i am going to completely agree with you on this - different sets of differents are fun to have and hard to mix.
i have given up and trying to bring them together because when i do, i spend the evening being the social director - much too much work.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

Really nice post. U r also damn right about the groups. It is very normal to have 3-4 totally different groups and still treasure each one as much as the other. As u put it, every induvidual is unique and that applies to group as well.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Aristera,
Yup disaster it is! Though I personally make it a point to interact with the other 'set' if I am one of the people invited.
I suddenly remembered the song and decided to put it on my blog :)

Burf,
Eggjactly!

Rusty,
Yes being on your own sure has perks, but then... no man's an island.

Educatedunemployed,
Finally someone's whose cocktail didnt turn out to be as much of a disaster as others :)

Brown Magic,
"Social director" - I know!!! I always end up doing that.

Pointy,
Yes, and one group might not fulfill all our needs...

12:32 AM  
Blogger A and A said...

I love my friends!!! And I have a few different friends circles meself...But somehow whenever we all go out we always have a good time...So far thankfully, there has been no friction between all the different types of people I hang out with! Lovely post! :)

1:23 AM  
Blogger Dreamcatcher said...

wow you just put into words what ive always thought that we dont always get to choose our friends..some of it happens by choice.

2:22 AM  
Blogger totti said...

True that you can't tell why you like someone.It is good that you can tell precisely why you hate a person.There is a good chance you will get a new perspective and be friends with them once that thing is clearly out of the way.I think everyone has circles around them.Some are close and some are hi-bye friends.With some, it just clicks.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Lancelot said...

yep... another grey area... and i suppose some of it happens by accident as well... its not really that we develop different friend circles but its just that sometimes we make friends who have their own circles and we gradually get used to that circle... and so on and so forth.

3:57 AM  
Blogger ~RAUL~ said...

Ohhh this post is 'bout "friends"..
On reading the subject I thot it was about mixing drinks/alcohol. :( :(
Not my fault. The days are hazy and so am I. And new year is on its way !!!

Hicccckkkkkkkkk
qjqbgka

2:02 PM  
Blogger Zii said...

Friends are like alcohol!
individually they are great...
when u mix them...it tastes bad
aaand u get a bad hangover!

no seriously, how can u expect total strangers to be nice to each other.

5:16 PM  
Blogger KM said...

totally know wat u mean...and i manage to make amazing frinds even at random things like internships, and workshops...and then the circles get bigger...
pisses my mom off cuz when its time to throw a party i cant 'not' invite some ppl cuz the're all good friends...i want them all there!
uff!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Wishfulthinker,
Lucky you :)

Dreamcatcher,
Yup, we dont.

Totti,
But if we dislike someone for some quality of theirs, I dont think we can 'get it out of the way'.

Lancelot,
Yup, true that.

Raul,
Drunkard... 2 days to go. Patience :p

Zii,
I dont find it difficult to be nice to most strangers, but then...

Khizzy,
Hehe.. know what you mean! I dont like to shortlist from my friends either!

8:01 PM  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

I remember you writing on the topic of friendship/friends earlier, and like with that post of yours I couldn't agree more!

Sometimes when I sit back and think abt my friends I'm amazed at how diff some of them are...yet I couldn't find better friends!

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I've not read your post yet. Just dropped by to wish you a happy new year :)

1:30 PM  
Blogger the Monk said...

interesting....I know I don't have a hard and fast rule...

4:02 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

hey Casa!!! A very very happy new Year....

9:04 PM  
Blogger educatedunemployed said...

Best wishes for an awesome year ahead..hopefully with better mixed cocktails!!!
Cheers.

10:18 PM  
Blogger bluegreenflysplat said...

I know, it's always weird to have a "circle" of friends... It's weird, and it makes me feel like we're all school kids, forming little cliques, and not being ok with others coming in, or mixing with a bunch of someone elses...

But still, mix and match is good. You can't be having all bad results non?

Have a great year...

10:26 PM  
Blogger Prince K. said...

First of all: Happy New Year. {Bloody hell}
Second: Its not hard making friends if you're open minded, and have diverse interests {Okay, my head is inflating} and can flit from Spitfires to Candy Floss in a second.
It is the same, making friends now as it was 7 years earlier for me.{I am NOT childish}
But then got to agree with you on this point: I cannot say why I like my friends.... They are good people to be around with.
Especially my Girlfriend:

Remember, whatever
It seems like forever ago
Remember, whatever
It seems like forever ago
The regrets are useless
In my mind
She's in my head
I must confess
The regrets are useless
In my mind
She's in my head
From so long ago

4:01 PM  
Blogger Virdi said...

happy new year...

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good pitch Kaushik.. a good pitch, boy !!

8:42 PM  
Blogger totti said...

Happy New Year :)

2:31 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Great thoughts to read in the New Year Casa...


**Why is it so difficult to hang out with people who arent like you?

Good question...I myself find it hard sometimes...but I can say that Im generally a very fair person...I try my luck with all sorts of people...I dun have a set criteria for friendship. But sometimes personalitie clash and it's hard to tolerate such ppl just as much as they may find it hard to tolerate me. So in such instances it's best not being friends or enemies...just dun have to be in each others' company :)


Happy New Year to u girl!

Keshi.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

**personalities

9:33 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Gee,
Yup, and cheers to that! If all my friends were similar, life would be kinda boring, isnt it?

Rita,
Same to you!

Monk,
Hmmmmm

Anthony,
You too!

Educatedunemployed,
Hopefully no more cocktails... not a good idea, I realised yet again ;)

Bgfs,
Nope. Realised again this weekend... mix'n'match aint a good idea.

Kazarelth,
Happy new year! And you are 15, what do you mean you arent childish :p

Virdi, Totti,
Happy new year to you too!

Keshi,
You have a point there. And happy new year to you!

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes
mixing and matching isnt always good...i guess its too much of a burden than a pleasure for me and thats why i dont generally do that...
altho i sure have completely different friends group and that i think is important for me to connect to different aspects of myself...

even tho thats how we met also...still given a chance i wouldnt get into that...

cheers
:)

9:56 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Minu,
True that! We would never have met if someone didnt decide to 'mix' his friends, and I'm so glad that he did :)

9:35 AM  
Blogger Deets said...

Stumbled on your blog by accident, but I must say you're one of the best writers I've read. Agree completely with your thoughts...keep up the good work!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Deets,
Thanks so much. Very generous of you =)

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home