Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The Sitcom in our Lives

Dont be misled by the title of this post - its not about anything comical happening in my life. Infact, it is about a few people I know, who behave as if life was a sitcom, and they need to say something funny every time to speak. In the beginning, its enjoyable - you feel as if you are sitting in your living room, watching 'Friends' or 'Scrubs' or something equally funny. These people have funny scripts, sarcastic comments, the right punchlines and amazing comeback lines. But after some time it gets boring. I mean, there are only so many funny things that these people can think of spontaneously. Lets face it, if they were any better, they would be stand-up comedians in a show, or atleast at some lousy bar on friday nights. Well... I guess some people feel the need to say the "right" thing, and all I can hope for is that some day they will get the maturity to understand that you dont have to be 'nerd' for intellectual conversations, or 'soft' for emotional exchanges... and that some of these facets of life are the most meaningful ones.

This is not to take away from the importance of sitcoms in our lives. They are absolutely essential! Not just for the escape they provide from our real worlds, and for making us laugh till we are ready to cry, but also for the bits of wisdom that they provide. One sitcom which I love is 'Scrubs', and its for this precise reason. Infact it reminds me of 'Doggie Howser M.D.' which I watched as a kid. They make you laugh, but at the same time leave you with something to think about. It is that essence in the last 30 seconds of the episode which makes sitcom-watching worth it for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home