Friday, April 29, 2005

The customary 'First Post'

This, I guess, is the place to write "Welcome to my blog", "Please add comments" and other such niceties.

But I dont feel the need to write any of that, simply because I'm not too eager to announce this blog to the whole world, for them to read and comment on. I'd rather keep this as my online diary, and hopefully, I'll find enough courage in myself to be honest in whatever I post here.

So why is it so difficult to be honest to ourselves? Why do we run away from the truth? At the risk of sounding too cliched, I will go ahead and use the term 'insecurity', as if it were the explanation to all our funny behaviour. But then, isnt it? There are so many things about us that we arent either too sure about, or too comfortable with. Our appearance? It might be the bald patch on your head which you spend hours covering up, the pimple on your face which only you can notice, the extra fat on you which you are obsessed to lose, or anything else, consequential or inconsequential, which bothers you. You dont need a second person to point out something peculiar about you for you to feel insecure.. as long as you are not happy with it, it already starts gnawing at you.

However, I think appearance is one of our smaller insecurities, because most of us are mature enough to accept it or change it to whatever extent we can. For most of us, our biggest insecurity is what other people perceive us to be. And rightly so, given the number of judgmental people we are surrounded with (me included)!

Now I wont pretend that I have found the magic mantra to overcome this insecurity, but I think there are 2 ways to go about this: either we ignore what others say and be who we are (and this is the more difficult, almost impossible approach. Trust me: Been there, done that), or, we can change ourselves to become the person we want others to see us as. And I dont see any shame in changing continuously, learning something new and being happy about it.

So, thumbs up to all you people out there who have the courage to accept their insecurities and the patience to do something about it!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post. keep writing.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Michelangelo ;) said...

One of the best firsts I've read. And look what it's blossomed into :-) !

8:32 PM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Pilot,
Merci beaucoup :D

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home