Trees of thoughts
A cartoon strip I read some time ago had a conversation between a man and a dog. The man asks the dog "How do dogs fall asleep so easily at any time?". The dog replies "because we dont have guilt on our conscience". Well I know that hardly sounds comical, but I cant really recall the rest of it. This bit, however, was worth remembering. Reminded me of so many things I could have done. So many things I should have done. Things I could have said. And things I should have said. Some issues are not easy to confront. Neither are some people. But what is most difficult is to make the decision: to confront or not? It's not a matter of right and wrong. It's a matter of being who you are. And there used to be a time when I was too caught up in being 'right'. In thoughts. Words. And actions. That time seems to have vanished into a distant past, though it was not so long ago. A sense of self-preservation, grows stronger in me, everyday. The kind of self-preservation which prevents you from losing yourself in white rage. The kind that allows you to take a call on what and who is worth losing sleep over. And most times, the list is small. And shrinking still.
(Title has been borrowed from Totti's totally arbit, but highly entertaining blog - Trees of Thoughts)


22 Comments:
That dog made pefect sense! Why do you think I can sleep so much at any time??
LOL!!! :D
"And shrinking still."
No one is indispensable?
Wishfulthinker,
I am tempted to say 'You dawg!', but I'm resist ;)
Jay,
Some are, but only some.
they get to sleep when they want man!
whoever said 'its a dog life' dint know what he was talking about!
Hmm.. I would like to develop that sense of self preservation too! I am not able to. :-(
I can fall asleep even at work..and although its debabatable, but I think I am not a dog...I think guilt conscience etc has nothing to do with sleep...sleeping is an attitude..u need to develop it !!
Not worth it Casa, that is what I have realised over time.No matter what the relationship, if one cannot be themsleves then that relationship begins to have a stiffling effect.If some thing/some one doesn't allow us to be ourselves, then may be its not worth being in it anyway.
Zii,
But there's so much more to life than sleep, isnt it :)
Jingu,
Keep trying, it will come. Mine took a long time and lot of thought too...
Pointy,
Yes fatigue does play a part, but sometimes when there's a lot on your mind, its difficult to fall asleep. Isnt it?
Vikram,
Not sure why dog, but I'm sure if you google it, you'll find an explanation.
EU,
But some people are worth changing for, arent they?
Change but how much?Where does one draw the line?What does one become after that customisation?I am not saying donot adapt,compromise,adjust.All that is but natural.But change onself per se?Really who is worth that much?
First line is awesome if awesome =makes you feel this small. *gestures with thumb and index*
=(
There are reasons which does not allow confrontation or does not allow us to say what we want. We have many other complications in our life than a 'dog'. Sad but true...
Casa I like this post very much...
**It's a matter of being who you are.
so true...often we want to be right and accepted, so we refrain from being ourselves...I say lets just shed that mask and show our real faces...so wut if the other person doesnt like what he.she sees!
Keshi.
Losing sleep... because of something, someone... hhhhmm Interseting.
EU,
No, I dont endorse change actually. And this post isnt so much about me changing myself for a particular person. But I'd still like to believe, that someone in life will be worth a lot of trouble. Wishfulthinking, maybe? :)
Jupiter,
Even smaller. *touches thumb and index finger*
Green,
Sometimes though, one feels like doing away with all reason. Bark and bite at will :p
Keshi,
Totally! Here's to being our true selves! Cheers.
Me,
Hmmmm... interesting, indeed.
Yes!! There was a point of time, not too far in the distant past, when I used to be uncompromising on ideals, work towards being perfect and right in thoughts, words and deeds, when I was at peace with everyone but took an extra-ordinary amount of time before i made new friends, while carefully building a close group of friends who thought on similar lines. it was a period of obsession for perfection and i always confronted!
But then, I started hanging out with a bunch of people (maybe 15!) - we ate together, lived together and shared our life. it was all wonderful and opened up a whole new door that i never knew existed. i started going for desi parties and mighty surprisingly, began to amuse people and began to enjoy the time spent there. But on every walk back home, returning from the laugh-riot and revelry, i realized that life ceases to be black and white anymore, different shades of grey creep in, decisions become harder to rationalize, right and wrong are dependent on my perspective rather than the absolute, and I begin to wonder if I have lost myself in this quest...
on clearer days, i try to reason: it was 3 of the best years of my life. i may do a thing or two different but would gladly go through the whole thing again => its my incapacity to reason strongly that i need to overcome. that seems to help. i understand better; i choose well, i can place everything in context, think clearly, communicate well and most importantly, i feel content.
Anyways, that comment is longer than the post itself. But glad that I am not alone in such strange thoughts!
i'm not saying that one should not preserve the person he is... i merely hope to preserve that which is good about me. but, there is so much more to be learnt! nice post, casa. it sounded like an echo :)
Littlecow,
A very similar story in my ways, I'd say :)
And which is why I wrote in one of my previous posts:
I believe that if you make friends only with people who are always 'good', you are insecure about being able to hold on to your goodness.
Our moral compass should not be dependent on who we hang out with and how we entertain ourselves... its much beyond that.
Loved reading your comment :)
RBT,
An echo of? :)
yes absolutely right, now that i come to think of it... there are very few things that can startle or really move me... slightly cynical maybe... not sure.., but the list is definitely getting smaller
Lancelot,
I guess a pinch of cynical and skepticism is much needed in all our lives.
an echo of my own thoughts... resonance
because we dont have guilt on our conscience
oh sweetie.. if we took this seriously, none of us would ever be able to get any sleep in our entire lifetimes..
RBT,
I see :)
Cowlick,
I guess his question was how come dogs can go to sleep so quickly... so yes, we do get sleep, but maybe not as easily if there is something on our mind :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home